Tuesday Night Junior MTB Rides
Rides start on Tuesday 24 October 2017 – riding away at 4.30pm.
The Tuesday rides are a great social ride for junior riders of all abilities. There are regularly over 80 kids from 4 – 15 riding each week so please have your kids at the Alpine Cycling Club in their group ready to ride away at 4.30pm during Terms 4 and 1. Junior MTB Club rides do not run during Term 3.
Ride groups are based on age, ability, fitness, friendships and riding interests, it is important that kids ride with their designated groups so that we can keep track of everyone and maintain ratios.
To sign up for Tuesday night junior rides….
1. Make sure you have a current MTBA “Dirt Master” Licence available at Mountain Bike Australia This link will also allow you to pay your club fees in the same transaction.
2. Fill out the form below.
Our aim is to keep the group sizes at 8-10 junior riders with one or two leaders so we always need extra adults to help out on our rides – if you are interested in helping out, please email juniors@alpinecyclingclub for details. Ride supervisor information can be found here.
To come along to the Tuesday rides your child will need to be a member of Alpine Cycling Club ($10) and join MTBA. MTBA has an 8 week free trial membership so you can come along for a few weeks before you sign up permanently. When you send your membership details to Jenny Corser you will go on the mailing list to receive all junior related news and event information and your child will receive their personalised name plate – please make sure that emergency contact details are written on the back side of the plate.
All children must carry a drink bottle or small backpack with water and wear close toed shoes for all riding activities.
Please make sure that your child’s bike is in good working condition every time they ride, simple things your child can do every week are to check their tyre pressure, clean and lube their chain, check that brakes and gears are working and make sure there are no loose bits.
Information about cancellations or changes to the program will be emailed to junior club families and posted on Bright Cyclists and Alpine Cycling Club Facebook pages.
Junior Development Day 2017
A great opportunity for juniors of all abilities to have a fun day, learning some new skills with qualified coaches, tricks, playing MTB games and fun races.
6 years old and under $10 (RegisterNow is charging $20 for Under 6. A refund will be given on the day.)
Over 6 years $20
Plus $7 for MTBA Day licence if you do not have current MTBA licence.
Places are limited so book online at RegisterNow
Introduction to MTB for Mums & Dads
Alpine Cycling Club CyclePath – 2017/18 Junior MTB Race Series
- Saturday 11 November 2017 – XCO – Roger Packham / Rotary Pines
- Saturday 16 December 2017 – Enduro – Mystic Landing Paddock
- Saturday 20 January 2018 – XCO – TBC
- Saturday 17 February 2018 – XCO – Beechworth
- Saturday 3 March 2018 – Gravity Enduro – Grevids & Gorilla Warfare
- Saturday 24 March 2018 – XCO – Mystic Landing Paddock (stay for celebration BBQ and presentations)
2017 Victorian Schools Cycling Championships
The 2017 Victorian Schools Cycling Championships will be held at Bendigo with the MTB Final on Saturday 21 October and the Road Race on Sunday 22 October, information about the whole VSCC Series can be found at the Cycling Victoria website. This is a great opportunity to try a bigger race which is still targeted appropriately for different ages. We hope to have lots of Alpine Cycling Club members racing at the VSCC, for more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
Alpine Cycling Club ~ CyclePath – 2016/17 Junior MTB Race Series
Under 5 Mixed
Under 7 Boys
Under 7 Girls
Under 9 Boys
Under 9 Girls
Under 11 Boys
Under 11 Girls
Under 13 Boys
Under 13 Girls
Seven juniors represented Alpine Cycling Club and Bright P-12 College at the 2016 Victorian Schools Cycling Championships in Bendigo on 10 October, Teagan Atherstone (U17) and Mia Lynch (U13) won their races; Amy Ditcham (U13) came third and McKenzie Lynch (U11) came 2nd. Teagan went on to come third in the Road Race on Sunday. Well done to all the riders, Teagan, Mia, Amy, McKenzie, Leah Grant, James Grant and Taylor Atherstone it was great to see you all out there giving it a go against some very tough competition.
Junior Development Day 2016
The third ACC Junior MTB Development Day in October was another great success with over 70 kids taking part in a round robin of activities including coaching from professional coaches, Indi Boer from Fastline Bikadamy, Dora and Kelvin Bettridge from ATC and Greg Meyland from Halkswood Training Systems; the sessions were strtuctured so the older kids got a longer skills coaching session, including a small group enduro skills session with Indi.
Dr Chris O’Brien donated his time to run a short session on looking after your mates on the tracks for some of the older riders who learnt about snake bikes, broken bits and how to call for help.
The team from CyclePath Bright ran a very popular session on tricky stuff, monos, skids and bunny hopping; the games session is always popular as was the team scavenger hunt, where teams had to decipher the clue sheet and ride around the forest collecting prizes.
Thanks to everyone who volunteered their time whether to coach, cook sausages, supervise groups or do registration, events like this just would not run without your help; thanks also to the local businesses who continue to support the Junior Club activities, CyclePath Bright, for donating coaches and also great prizes, All Terrain Cycles, Fastline Bikeademy, Halkswood Training Systems, Bright Medical Centre, Woolworths Bright and Nightingale Apples and to the always popular Michael Pearce for bringing his Airstream Coffee Truck.
The second ACC Junior MTB Development Day on 17 October was a great success with over 70 kids taking part in a round robin of activities including coaching from professional coaches, Indi Boer from Fastline Bikadamy and Peter Mack from Bright Cycle; bike care presented by the crew from Cyclepath; starting to race presented by Greg Meyland from Halkswood Training Systems and the always popular games station. the day was wrapped up with a giant team relay with Superstar Team Captains, Sebastian Jayne, Scott Liston, Aaron Gungl, Aiden Varley and Rory Miller. Thanks to CyclePath and LeBlanch Icecreamery for spot prizes; Nightingale Apples, Woolworths and Bright Medical Centre for helping with lunch. As usual the day could not run without all the volunteers who helped out with running activities, leading rides and cooking the bbq.
2017 Junior Athlete Awards
Alpine Cycling Club wish to recognise the efforts and aspirations of our young members.
The Alpine Cycling Club Junior Athlete Award will support one junior rider each year to further their cycling goals in any discipline of the sport.
The rider who is granted the Award will not necessarily be the best rider but one who demonstrates good sporting behavior, enthusiasm and commitment to the sport.
The Award will support a rider up to the sum of $1000 and may include the following:
- Membership of peak body (MTBA or Cycling Australia)
- Club Kit
- Up to $500 for professional coaching or skills development
- Up to $200 for entry to races
- CyclePath Bright will also donate 4 bike services plus parts to the value of $250 over the 12 month period
Expenses will be paid by the club or reimbursed to the athlete – athletes will not be given a lump sum of cash.
The Award will not be used for purchase of bikes or equipment.
The athlete will commit to
- demonstrating good sporting behavior and being a positive role model to other junior riders
- wearing club kit at races
- liaising with Award coordinator about a program of events to be undertaken
- representing the club in a minimum of two state or national level events ie. Victorian Schools Cycling Championships (VSCC) ; National Championships; National Series; Victorian Championships; or Victorian Series in the discipline of their choice
- participate in at least four additional races in the discipline of their choice
- submit reports and photos of their activities on Bright Cyclist and Alpine Cycling Club Facebook page and for publication in the Club’s newsletter and website.
- be featured in media promoting the ACC and the Award program.
To be eligible for the award you should:
- be a member of Alpine Cycling Club
- be aged 13 – 18 years
- live within Bright and surrounds (including Porepunkah, Harrietville, Wandiligong)
- have been riding in your chosen discipline for at least 2 years
- present your goals and plans for your riding future
- demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the sport of cycling
- not already receive sponsorship to pursue your riding goals
Applications open on 1 May 2017 and close on 1 July 2017 – the winner will be announced at Alpine Cycling Club Annual General Meeting at the end of July.
Each application will be considered by the Executive Committee Alpine Cycling Club. For more information, or to apply using the attached application form, email email@example.com
Download the 2017 application form HERE.